This is a big, free update for all the Reality Expansion Packs around.
This update goes a long way updating some of the planes that we pimped up with REP.
ASDG Piper Super Cub
This new version introduces experimental support of the experimental flight model for the Super Cub only. This does not mean that you have to enable the Experimental Flight Model if you use the Super Cub. REP just tries to give you the correct flight dynamics if you decide to use it.
Even if you don’t enable the EFM, you will get a lot of improvements on the flight and ground dynamics side. The ground handling is now more realistic and the flight dynamics are fine-tuned. The Super Cub flies a real STOL plane.
Other PA-18 changes are related to the 3D model:
- There’s a new version with 150HP and small tundras
- The fuel level indicators give different readings if the plane is in the three points attitude or in level flight
- We fixed many issues with the 3D elements
This update greatly pimps up the SF.260. There are three areas of major improvement.
The G1000 version is available for both left-hand and right-hand cockpits and it’s based on the civilian SF.260D powered by the Lycoming O-540-E4A5 engine.
It uses the default G1000 from Laminar so there is no fps loss at all.
Belgian Air Force Military version
We developed this model together with a sim instructor of the Belgian Air Force. The military SF.260D features a fuel-injected Lycoming IO-540-E4A5, therefore, forget the carburetor ice issues and the inverted flight limitations.
The following are the main differences from the civilian version:
- Fuel-injected Lycoming IO-540-E4A5 engine: the engine power is the same as the civilian one but it has no carburetor to bother about and it’s slightly more fuel-efficient. Moreover, it can fly inverted for up to 8 minutes without issues. Beware that the startup procedure is different from the civilian plane. Use the checklists!
- Dual electric fuel pump (main + aux): this requires a little knowledge about the switches to use (and the order of actions). More information in the included user manual.
- Warning lights panel: provides warnings about the on-board systems
- Different fuel system: there is no fuel selector. Rather, the fuel always flows from the left main tank to the engine and a switch lets you move the fuel from the tips or the right main tank to the left main tank. More information on the included user manual.
- HSI arrow pointer: a pointer in the HSI always points towards the tuned beacon
Before flying the military version, it is highly recommended you read the user manual to get accustomed to the different systems on board. Moreover, always use the checklists in flight.
Some months ago I was able to record a new set of sounds of the plane. I did it using a different audio-recorder setting than before and now I feel like the new sounds are perfect! They really represent what you hear inside an SF.260 cockpit.
The wind noise has been sampled at the bottom of a looping, where the engine is running at the minimum power (almost) and the speed is getting higher and higher. This way it has been isolated without losing quality.
The wind noise level in the real plane is so high that it almost overcomes the engine noise. That’s why you always see pilots wearing headsets onboard the Marchetti. Therefore, we recommend to “use” the headsets by clicking on the 3D David Clarks you see in between the plane seats in X-Plane. They will muffle the sounds and cut away a large part of the annoying wind sound.
The Cessna 172 received some important improvements. Among them you will find:
- The P-Factor is now stronger in level flight
- The elevator authority is now lower at low speed
- Thanks to more data recorded on a real plane, the engine power curve at low RPM is more realistic and less linear
Last but not least, the PC-12 improved as well.
- REP restores the ITT from the last flight (and lowered accordingly to the elapsed time).
- A new Emergency Oxygen system is available in case of cabin depressurization
- Added the engine monitor
- Improved the power curve in the 1500-2000 RPM range
- The prop P-Factor has been improved
- Improved the negative torque model
- Fix: the elevator authority was excessive during the ground roll at very low speed
- Fix: a change in XP11.35+ made the steering system unusable
- Fix: improved the stall horn behavior on 11.35+
- Fix: improved the stall behavior on 11.40+
- Fix: improved the flaps dynamics on 11.40+
- Fix: improved fuel flow at startup with mixture full rich
- The O2 pressure indicator now work properly
- New: improved engine sounds
- New: military BAF version powered with fuel injected engine IO-540-E4A5
- New: G1000 cockpit version
- Improved mixture system behavior
- Updated librain effect plugin
- Fix: the GTX330 did not respond properly to the press of the 8, 9, CRSR, and CLR keys while entering the TX code
- Fix: The GTX330 was always loaded switched on even when it was switched off during pervious session
- Fix: some textures had typos
- Fix: the pilot arm could pop out of the canopy at certain stick position
- Fix: the commands to control the ignition key were reversed
- Improved the flaps pitch moment
- Improved compatibility with XP11.40
- Introduced the Pilot Emergency O2 System
- Improved ITT evolution on plane loading (the ITT is restored from the previous flight, taking into accout the elapsed time)
- Improved the flaps flight dynamics behavior
- New 150HP version with smaller tundra wheels
- The indicated fuel level depends on the aircraft pitch giving a meaning to the “Three points attitude” and “Level flight” scales on the fuel quantity indicators
- Improved flight dynamics to experimentally support…X-Plane’s Experimental Flight Model
- Introduced the Engine Monitor
- More realistic empty weight
- Fix: the oil pressure and temperature indicators did not work as expected
- Fix: the position of the magnetos switch was not saved between sessions
- Fix: the fuel selector position was not saved between sessions
- Fix: the 180HP version did not map the mixture axis to the proper dataref
- Fix: adding the cargo pod did not add extra empty weight
- Fix: both the fuel quantity indicators reported the right-tank fuel quantity
- Message to warn that the Experimental Flight Model is not supported
- Engine Monitor shows CHT and Oil Temperature
- Fix: The preheater did not work properly
- Fix: the Economy System status could be loaded only partially in some situations
- Fix: the in-flight tips were not visible in VR. Thanks to [sparker](https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/profile/73618-sparker/) for helping debugging the issue.
- Fix: walkaround CTD
- Fix: message boxes did not support VR
- Improved the engine negative torque model